Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fatal Interview - Sonnet III "No Lack of Counsel"

No lack of counsel from the shrewd and wise
How love may be acquired and how conserved
Warrants this laying bare before your eyes
My needle to your north abruptly swerved;
If I would hold you, I must hide my fears
Lest you be wanton, lead you to believe
My compass to another quarter veers,
Little surrender, lavishly receive.
But being like my mother the brown earth
Fervent and full of gifts and free from guile,
Liefer would I you loved me for my worth,
Though you should love me but a little while,
Than for a philtre any doll can brew, —
Though thus I bound you as I long to do.

(From "Fatal Interview" 1931)

This is the third sonnet in the Fatal Interview set, and it sets the tone early on for how her relationship with Dillon went. I love the compass metaphor and her declaration that she would rather be loved for her who she really is.

2 comments:

  1. Typo - "and doll" should be "any doll".

    Such a great poem, isn't it? Like "not in a silver casket cool with pearls" it's about a woman who doesn't play games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose - Thank you for the correction!

    You're right - those sonnets are very similar. I hadn't thought of that before and I appreciate your insight. Its so nice to know that you are reading and enjoying. -C

    ReplyDelete